Clinical Audit: Beating Heart Failure
You need to login to participate in this clinical audit.
This education is accredited: RACGP 40 CPD, ACRRM 30 CME PD.
This clinical audit aims to improve the management of patients with chronic heart failure who have been taking an ACE inhibitor or ARB for over four weeks.
- Diagnosis of chronic heart failure
- Have been taking an ACE inhibitor or an ARB for over four weeks
Steps to Proceed
What the GP needs to do:
- Log in or register to ThinkGP
- Use the 'Click here to proceed' button to get started
This activity provides background information and current best practice in managing heart failure, as well as a number of questions for you to reflect upon your current practice.
You will need to complete this 10-minute activity before you can start entering the 10 patients.
2. Identify 10 patients who meet the audit criteria
Tips to identify 10 patients
1. Consider a patient being consulted for chronic heart failure
2. Perform a search on your practice software using the following search criteria: (Please consult your practice software help or support function if required)
- Diagnosis: Cardiac failure, congestive cardiac failure, left ventricular systolic dysfunction, left heart failure, etc
- Medications: Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE-I) or angiotensis receptor blockers (ARB)
3. Recall these patients for a consultation. Click here to download a recall letter that can be mail merged using your practice software or handed out by your practice nurse.
3. Assess each patient and enter data
During the consultation, fill out the patient entry form and assess the below factors for the patient.
- Symptoms and signs
- Investigations this patient has had
- Current medications
- Non-pharmacological management
Upon entering the patient data, a management plan tailored to each specific patient will be automatically generated and displayed on the patient entry form based on the below factors.
- Symptoms and signs
- Efficacy of current medication
- Comorbidities and medicine interactions
- Non-pharmacological management methods
Discuss these recommendations with the patient based on current evidence and best practice, and commence or alter a management plan as necessary.
5. Data review and evaluation
Once you have entered data for 10 patients, review your results, evaluate the audit process and undertake a reflective activity.
6. CPD points
Completion of this activity will award you 40 RACGP QI&CPD points, or 30 ACRRM PDP points.
If a nurse assisted you in completing the clinical audit and wants to claim CPD points download a certificate here.
This program is supported by Novartis.
|Beating Heart Failure Clinical Audit - Pre-test|
|Beating Heart Failure Clinical Audit - Patient Entry|
|Beating Heart Failure Clinical Audit - Results and Evaluation|