Airway Alert COPD Management Initiative - Clinical Audit
You need to login to participate in this clinical audit.
This education is accredited: RACGP 40 CPD, ACRRM 30 CME PD.
To optimise treatment of COPD patients based on current guidelines and best practice.
- Patients with a diagnosis of COPD
- Patients prescribed LABA/ICS as the only long-acting maintenance therapy
How long should it take?
The audit has been designed to take approximately 8-10 weeks to complete. This includes patient recall from your practice, patient consult and audit evaluation.
Steps to Proceed
What the GP needs to do
- Identify 10 patients. Clear search criteria will be set for opportunistic identification as the patient comes in.
Tips to identify 10 patients
1. Consider a patient being consulted for COPD
2. Perform a search on your practice software using the following search criteria: (Please consult your practice software help or support function if required)
- Diagnosis: COPD
- Medications: LABA/ICS combination therapy
3. Recall these patients for a consultation - click here to download a recall letter that can be mail merged using your practice software or handed out by your practice nurse.
3.Assess for each patient: (Enter this information in the patient data entry section of the audit)
- The patient’s symptom severity
- FEV1 (non-mandatory)
- Quality of life
- Adherence to device and advice technique
- Create a COPD management plan based on results of the patient’s assessment
- Discuss this management plan with the patient
- Recommendations based on assessment from (3) above:
- Quality of life
- AFFIRM/FLAME data/new COPD-X Guides
- Specifically based on assessment:
- Either ADD or SWITCH
ADD - LAMA to ICS/LABA for triple therapy for additional exacerbation prevention and symptom control
CONSIDER A SWITCH - from ICS/LABA to LAMA/LABA if exacerbations are infrequent (0-1 in previous year), to improve lung function and reduce exacerbation frequency (as per AFFIRM and FLAME study, and COPD-X guideline updates)
5. Data review and evaluation
- Once you have entered data for 10 patients, review your results and evaluate the audit recommendations
6. CPD points
- Upon completion of the clinical audit, you will be awarded 40 RACGP QI&CPD or 30 ACRRM PDP points.
- If a nurse assisted you in completing the clinical audit and wants to claim CPD points download a certificate here
This program is supported by Menarini.
|Airway Alert COPD Management Initiative - pre-test|
|Airway Alert COPD Management Initiative - Declaration|
|Airway Alert COPD Management Initiative - Patient Entry|
|Airway Alert COPD Management Initiative - Results and Evaluation|