Bladder and bowel control in the pre and postnatal periods
Bowel and bladder problems in the child bearing years are highly prevalent, affecting up to 30% of women.
In this interview, Dr. Helena Frawley explores how to approach the optimal first-line management strategies for women experiencing incontinence in the pre and postnatal periods.
Questions asked in the video
- Introduction 0:00
- Outline common issues that affect bladder and bowel function in women prenatally and postnatally 0:07
- What are the risk factors that should be considered when assessing prenatal and postnatal women? 1:53
- When and how should we involve a continence nurse or physiotherapist in the care of a woman with bowel or bladder dysfunction? 3:41
- What are some common pelvic floor conditions that you see referred? 5:15
- What are some practical management solutions? 6:51
- What supports are available to patients in terms of education and other information? 11:30
- Are there any further take-home messages for GPs? 13:14