The Shape of the Australian Diet: Discretionary Foods
Professor Manny Noakes examines Australians' intake of discretionary food, and just how much is too much.
Questions asked in the video
- What are the latest developments in the rates of overweight and obesity in Australia? 0:08
- Why is a 'Western' style diet frequently blamed for rising obesity rates? 0:41
- What does the Australian version of a 'Western' diet look like? 1:30
- What are 'discretionary foods', which make up 35% of the Australian's energy intake? 2:37
- How can we account for the increase in discretionary food intake? 3:26
- Is it feasible to increase physical activity to counteract energy intake from discretionary foods? 4:14
- How do demographic factors relate to consumption of discretionary foods? 5:04
- What advice can primary healthcare professionals offer patients regarding discretionary foods? 6:30
This program is supported by the Sugar Research Advisory Service.